- VTech DM221-Audio Baby Monitor
- Product Specification of VTech DM221 Audio Monitor.
- Is Vtech DM221 Audio Monitor Worth of?
- What is in the Box?
- Main features of VTech DM221 Baby Monitor.
- What is the coverage range of Vtech DM221 baby audio monitors?
- Can the VTech DM221 baby monitor be hacked?
- Can Non-WIfI baby monitors be hacked?
- What is the Power Source of Vtech DM221 Baby Audio Monitor?
- Does the VTech DM221 baby monitor need any batteries?
- How long does the battery of Vtech DM221 last?
- How long does it take to charge the battery of Vtech DM221 fully?
- Can you buy an additional parent unit for the VTech DM221 baby monitor?
- How many types of alert signals does VTech DM221 Send?
VTech DM221-Audio Baby Monitor
Vtech DM221 perfectly justifies the saying, “Old is Gold.” This audio monitor has been in the market since 2012 & is still considered one of the best baby monitors.
Vtech DM221 has an extensive range of 1000ft. It is securely encrypted with Dect 6.0 technology, making it impossible to hack.
With a battery life of 18 hours, caregivers can listen to the baby crystal clear with no white noise.
Have your complete rundown on Vtech DM221 Baby Monitor & full review.
Product Specification of VTech DM221 Audio Monitor.
|Power Source||AC power or rechargeable Ni-MH batteries.|
|Style||Audio Monitor with Parent unit.|
|Alert Type||Low Battery|
|Dimensions||7.4 x 2.4 x 8.2 inches|
Vtech DM221 Long Range Audio Monitor is a perfect choice for new parents. This monitor also comes in handy, If you are traveling with kids. Great for caregivers who live in a big house & looking for a secure internet-free monitor.
Is Vtech DM221 Audio Monitor Worth of?
It is the best long-range audio monitor. With an overall 58k positive reviews on Amazon, Vtech DM221 has all the abilities to beat any monitor out there.
With its remarkably extensive 18 hours long battery life and low price, this audio monitor is worth it.
What is in the Box?
As you open the box, you’ll find the following items:
- A Baby Unit
- A Parent Monitoring Unit for DM221
- Two Motoring Units if you opt for DM221-2
- A set of Batteries.
- Cords for AC Power.
- One Power Adaptor.
Main features of VTech DM221 Baby Monitor.
We test this monitor as per Vtech DM221 user manual. Have a look at the review of its features we found and like the most.
- Coverage Range.
- Monitoring and Control.
- Sound Quality.
- Power Source.
- Battery Life.
- Soothing Night Light.
- Additional Parent Monitor.
- Sound & vibration Alerts.
- Affordable Price.
Now let’s have a detailed rundown on all the features of this Long Range Audio Monitor.
1. Installation of Vtech DM221 Audio Monitor – Quick and Easy.
We set it up in five quick steps.
- Take out the monitor and pull off the battery compartment.
- Install the battery.
- Connect and charge the battery.
- Connect Baby’s unit.
- Charge the battery fully.
The parent unit runs on AC power or rechargeable batteries. It’s just like installing the batteries to a remote or another regular household item.
Connect the baby monitor and charge the batteries. Make sure that the wall switch does not control the electric outlet.
Make sure power adopter, parent & baby units cord are out of reach of children. Learn more on “How to Hide Baby Monitor Cords from Children?”
Overall, it is easy to install. We set up both monitors within 5 minutes.
2. Coverage Range – Extensive and Impressive.
We test the coverage on three basses.
- Outdoor Coverage.
- Indoor Range.
- The 5 Rooms Test.
I. Outdoor Coverage.
The coverage range is quite impressive. We test it within the range of 1000ft. The voice was evident till the 945ft wide range.
After over 950ft, there was some distortion and a little bit of white noise.
II. Indoor Range.
The indoor range of this extended range audio monitor was very effective, even at 90ft. As a caregiver, you’ll be able to listen to your baby almost five rooms or two levels apart.
III. The Five Rooms Test.
Overall it was great. There was a slight distortion, but the sound quality was very clear.
Have a quick look at our list of Best long-range baby monitors that caregivers can trust.
What is the coverage range of Vtech DM221 baby audio monitors?
The coverage range is 1000ft or 305m. The monitoring quality is very excellent and reliable till 960ft.
3. Design & Shape – Simple and Sleek.
The shape is pretty old school, yet it served its purpose. The design is simple and solid.
- There is a power (on/off) button.
- LCD Panel.
- Volume Control Button.
- “Select” Button (to Choose Something from the Menu)
- Menu Button.
The buttons are a little hard to press. Overall all the controls and indicators serve their purposes very well.
4. Monitoring and Control – Easy to Use.
This long-range audio baby monitor is easy to monitor and control. It is very convenient to use with low battery indicators and alert signals.
There are not too many buttons which makes it comfortable to understand. An additional Belt Clip is also available for portability so that you can carry it around freely.
Can the VTech DM221 baby monitor be hacked?
Every baby monitor that uses WI-FI to transmit signals can be hacked.
Thankfully, the VTech DM221 & DM221-2 are secured with Dect 6.0 technology that promises a clear voice and is almost impossible to hack.
Can Non-WIfI baby monitors be hacked?
The short answer is YES. Non-WiFi Analog monitors can be hacked.
All it takes is for somebody to find out which static frequency your monitor is utilizing and to be within the specified range.
Worry about your Child’s safety & need to know more about the monitor frequencies. Have your complete rundown on Baby Monitor Frequencies.
5. Sound Quality – No White Noise.
The sound quality is top-notch. It comes with a built-in five-level sound indication.
The monitor screen of the parent’s unit will indicate any additional sound to a certain level or baby crying.
As this monitor has DECT technology, there is no white noise that allows the parents to hear the baby only.
While testing it, the thing we liked the most was “Parents can set an alert for sound over a specific level.”
Does the VTech DM221 baby monitor have any white noise?
The DM221 long-range baby monitor has Dect 6.0 technology. Parents can listen to crystal clear voices with no white noise.
Overall, the sound quality is excellent.
6. Power Source – Better but not the Best.
What is the Power Source of Vtech DM221 Baby Audio Monitor?
The parent unit of the DM221 monitor can be run on:
- A Rechargeable Ni-MH Battery.
- AC Power.
For continuous monitoring, it is best to use both power sources simultaneously.
With the Ni-MH battery alone, the parent unit can only be used for a short time.
We did not like this specific feature because the battery can be drained if no AC power is available in the extended power cut.
Does the VTech DM221 baby monitor need any batteries?
Yes, the parent unit runs on both batteries and AC power. With the battery alone, the parent monitor runs only cordlessly for a short time.
It is advised to use the batteries supplied with the product only.
7. Battery Life – Reliable & Long-Lasting.
The battery life of this baby monitor is long and compatible. Overall, the battery life is perfect. But we were not so happy to fully charge the battery for a long time.
How long does the battery of Vtech DM221 last?
The battery can run for 18 to 19 hours with one full charge.
How long does it take to charge the battery of Vtech DM221 fully?
The parent unit takes almost 11 hours to be fully charged. It takes longer to charge the battery if the parent unit is continuously on.
8. Soothing Night Lights – No Worries, the Baby is Safe!
Many parents love this particular feature around the Globe. While testing it, We instantly fall into the spell of soothing lights on Baby’s unit.
It comes in handy, especially at night or in the dark. The soft and warm light emits and illuminates the baby crib at night.
No more stumbling in the night is reaching your baby.
9. Additional Parent Monitor – A Little Extra is Always Great.
It is the only audio-only monitor with two parents’ monitors. This baby monitor comes with “two options.”
- VTech DM221 – One Parent Unit.
- VTech DM221/2 – Two Parent Units.
This feature is delightful if you always want to feel connected with your baby living in a big house.
You can buy the additional parenting monitor separately.
Can you buy an additional parent unit for the VTech DM221 baby monitor?
Yes, caregivers can buy the VTech DM221-2 with two-parent units. These parent units can be used separately for motoring the infant.
10. Sound & Vibration Alerts – Loved by New Parents
As soon as the parent unit reaches out of the coverage range, an alert signal pop up on the screen.
How many types of alert signals does VTech DM221 Send?
It sends an alert signal to the parent unit if
- The battery is low.
- If the parent unit is almost out of reach.
- Sound from baby’s unit over a certain level.
11. Affordable Price – Top Quality at Affordable Cost.
The VTech DM221 is very pocket-friendly. The price is very pocket-friendly compared to other long-range monitors available in the market.
Have a look at what we like and don’t like about it.
We highly recommend opting for the VTech DM221 baby monitor if you are looking for an affordable long-range baby monitor.
It ranks at #2 among the “Best Audio Baby Monitors” on Amazon.
From comprehensive coverage to high Dect 6.0 technology this long-range audio monitor indeed got it all.
Reasons to Buy
- Wide Coverage Range of 1000ft.
- Affordable Price.
- It almost Eliminates the White noise.
- It comes with Multi-Language Options.
- You can use 2AAA batteries if you have no access to electricity or in an emergency.
- Simple Menu & Easy to Operate.
- Low Battery Alert Signals.
- Audio Only Monitoring.
- Buttons are Little Hard to Press.
- White Noise-Canceling Feature Fades out Sometimes.